Meet the players: An interview with Melanie Darroch
Melanie Darroch started playing bowls when she was just eight years old and now plays at a professional level.
After taking a break from competitive bowling to have her children she’s back and excited to compete at the Just World Indoor Bowls Championships for the second time. She’ll be competing in the Ladies Singles and Mixed Pairs categories at the Championships in January 2019.
1. How did you first get into playing bowls and how long have you been playing for?
My Papa got me started. I was always a Grandpa's girl and he was a bowler. He was instrumental in setting up the young bowlers in our area and I just tagged along. I started when I was eight.
2. How does it feel to be at the level you are, and how hard have you had to work to reach that level?
I have played at this level before but then I stepped back for a few years to have my kids. But now they are a wee bit older, I can focus more on the bowls again and it feels great to get back here.
3. Many say that bowls is a sport for all. Would you encourage people to have a go at playing bowls?
Definitely. It's a great sport to get involved with. Any age can play and it's very inclusive. I've met so many great friends through the bowling.
4. Do you prefer playing indoor or lawn bowls?
I prefer playing Indoor. I really don't play much outdoor at all currently but the situation used to be reversed. It changed when I moved to my current area. And I like to spend my free time with my kids in the summer now.
5. How many bowls do you have and what brand are they?
I have four sets at the moment. Three sets of Taylors, Lignoid, Ace and Vector all Sz4, and one set of Aero Profiles Sz3.5
6. Are you excited to be competing in the Just 2019 World Indoor Bowls Championships?
Yes. Very excited. Although probably not as excited as my mum!
7. Are there any other competitors you’re excited to see play? Or any matches you’re particularly excited about?
I do enjoy watching the men and seeing how their game and shot selection is different to the ladies.
8. How have you been preparing for the competition?
I’ve been practising when I get the chance and leading more than usual in various competitions.
9. What do you enjoy the most about competing at the World Indoor Bowls Championships?
The whole environment!
10. Do you have any predictions for the Championships that you’d like to share?
Nope. There are always surprises. That's part of the fun.
Enjoying our Just Bowls blogs? Share this interview on Twitter or Facebook using the hashtag #JustBowls