Frequently Asked Questions

Retirement can be a stressful, and difficult time - but it doesn't need to be! Here we answer your questions on tax, annuities, lifetime mortgages, care funding, and much more.

How to use our Frequently Asked Questions

If you are an existing customer of Just Retirement, please select 'Just Retirement' in the first drop-down. Likewise, if you are an existing customer of  Partnership, please select 'Partnership'.

Then select the area of interest you are looking for with our second drop-down box to filter the topics available, or scroll to see all of the relevant FAQs.

Have a question that we haven't covered here? Please don't hesitate to get in touch using our Contact Us form

All about tax

How do I change my tax code?

You'll need to contact HMRC directly if you believe that you've been given the wrong tax code. HMRC will only discuss your tax circumstances with you personally. To review your tax code they'll need to have the information regarding all of your income, not just the income provided by Just, and they'll also need to know your National Insurance number. 

For more information from HMRC and details on what to do if you think your tax code is wrong, visit this page of the HMRC website.

Alternatively, HMRC can be contacted at: 

Pay As You Earn
HM Revenue & Customs
United Kingdom

*You do not need to include a street name or PO box.

Telephone: 0300 200 3300 (Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm. Closed on weekends and bank holidays.)

How much tax will I pay?

When you purchase your annuity, Just will deduct tax, applying the emergency tax code, from your first payment (unless you have provided us with a current P45 dated on or after 6 April in the current tax year then the PAYE code will be set accordingly). The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April.

The emergency tax code will give you 1/12 of the personal allowance (if paid monthly) on a non-cumulative basis and you will be taxed on all income above this amount.

Just are obliged to provide His Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) with details of the annuity income you will be receiving and any tax deducted.

Following the first payment HMRC will assess your personal circumstances and issue a PAYE Coding notice to you, and then notify us which tax code Just should use to calculate the amount of tax to deduct from your future payments.

While the total amount of tax that you will pay will be based on your total income and will depend on your personal circumstances, the tax we will deduct, from the pension payment, will be based on the PAYE code provided to us by HMRC. This may result in tax being deducted at the standard, higher and additional rates and relevant thresholds in force at the date of payment and set out by the Government.


I have paid too little/much tax how do I correct this?

If you think that you have paid too much tax you may be due a refund.

In most circumstances any over/under paid tax during the tax year would be remedied with HMRC issuing a revised tax code to apply to future payments. This means any refund due would be included in your future pension payments. Or any underpaid tax will be deducted from your future payments.

However, if the matter remains unresolved at the end of the tax year, HMRC will post you a P800 tax calculation (usually by September). If your P800 says you can get your refund online, claim it that way. If your P800 says HMRC will send you a cheque (also known as a ‘payable order’) you’ll receive it within 14 days.

Similarly the P800 will say if you owe any tax. HMRC will usually collect the tax you owe in instalments over the next tax year by adjusting your tax code appropriately. However, if the tax due is greater than £3,000 then the P800 will inform you how you can pay the amount due. Please note you will not get a P800 if you are registered for Self Assessment.

Just do not calculate your tax code, we will only apply the tax code provided directly from HMRC. Just recommend that you check with your local tax office if you think your tax code is incorrect. If you have the wrong tax code you could end up paying too much or too little tax.

If you have not received a P800 you need to contact HMRC at:

Pay As You Earn
HM Revenue & Customs
United Kingdom

You do not need to include a street name, city name or PO box when writing to this address. 

Telephone: 0300 200 3300 (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday. Closed on weekends and bank holidays.)

HMRC does not send notifications of tax refunds by email. You can report suspicious emails to them.


I have paid too much tax as a result of taking a taxable lump sum, how do I correct this?

As with a normal initial payment, we will deduct tax at the emergency tax rate unless you provide us with a current P45 (dated on or after 6th April in the current tax year).

In most cases, HMRC will issue a new tax code for us to use on future payments to you. Any overpaid tax will be repaid to you over the remainder of the tax year with your regular payments. You can also claim your tax refund using a P53 form. This can be completed online or printed out and sent by post.  

Depending on the amount of the taxable lump sum you take, it may take several instalments to refund all the overpaid tax.

It may not always be possible to refund the tax to you in this way, for example if we  do not receive a new tax code from HMRC by the end of the tax year, if you are on a non-cumulative tax code, if you receive your annuity income on an annual basis or have no further payments due to you within the tax year. In these circumstances, you will need to contact HMRC directly to reclaim your overpaid tax.

After the tax year, HMRC will send a P800 tax calculation letter stating if there is any further tax due or if you are due a refund. The P800 will advise if you will need to claim the refund online or by cheque. 

The telephone number to call is 0300 200 3300 or alternatively you can write to them at the following address:

Pay As You Earn, HM Revenue & Customs, BX9 1AS.

You will need to give them your National Insurance number and send your P60 or P45. HMRC will then either send you a cheque or tell you why no refund is due.

I live abroad why am I paying UK tax?

If you don't live in the UK it's possible that you will have to pay UK tax on your UK pension income. You may also have to pay tax on this money in the country that you live in. 

Unless you live in a country that has a specific agreement with the UK you could be taxed twice. For more information from HMRC on Double Taxation Agreements, visit this page of the HMRC website

If you are in doubt about how your pension will be taxed you should seek local, independent advice or call HMRC’s Centre for Non Residents to discuss your case in more detail:

Telephone: +44 135 535 9022 

My tax code has changed how will it affect me?

The impact of your tax code change will depend on the reason for the change.

The most likely change in your tax code would be due to changes in the personal allowances and tax thresholds and this would be at the beginning of each tax year.  This generally would result in an increase in the pension received by you.

However, your tax code may also change during the tax year if there have been recent changes to your circumstances.  Please see our P60 and Tax codes FAQ page for reasons why your tax code could change.

The change in tax code will result in either an increase in the tax free allowance or a reduction.  The reduction in the tax free allowance will result in more tax being deducted and therefore you will receive a lower pension amount than before the code change.

You should speak directly to HMRC if you have any questions about the change in your tax code.  HMRC contact details are:

HMRC phone number:

0300 200 3300

HMRC address:

HM Revenue & Customs

Pay As You Earn


You’ll need to quote your National Insurance number when you contact them. You may also need to quote our PAYE reference.

If you have an annuity with us, then the PAYE reference you will need is 581/JZ59145.

If you have a Flexible Pension Plan with us, then the PAYE reference will be 120/TB23996.

HMRC’s website has a section on tax codes which offers useful guidance.

Why is tax being taken?

Your pension annuity or fixed term annuity payments are treated as pension income and are subject to Income Tax.  His Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) requires pension providers to pay the Income Tax through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system. When you take out a pension annuity, HMRC tells Just which PAYE code to apply to your pension income. This PAYE code determines how much tax is to be deducted.

You should speak to HMRC directly if you have any questions about the tax you are paying and the tax code applied to your annuity.

You will need your National Insurance number and you will have to quote Just’s tax reference number 581/JZ59145.

HMRC can be contacted at:

Pay As You Earn
HM Revenue & Customs
United Kingdom

*You do not need to include a street name or PO box.

Telephone: 0300 200 3300

Opening hours: 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

Closed on weekends and bank holidays.

Will I receive an annual P60 statement?

If you have an annuity with us then yes, you will receive a P60 statement after the end of each tax year.

If you have a Fixed Term Annuity you will also receive a P60 each year, unless no taxable income has been paid.

The P60 lists the tax code used and the amount of tax that was deducted from the income payments made that year. The tax year ends on 5 April and we aim to send out P60s by the end of May each year.

P60s are not issued to our Lifetime Mortgage, Immediate Needs Annuity or Purchased Life Annuity customers, or if you're in receipt of non-taxable death benefits. 

Annuity Customers

How can I nominate a beneficiary on my policy?

If you wish to change your nominated beneficiary, you can send us a new Expression of Wish Form. This is available in the useful information section of our website.

How do I convert my other pensions into an income?

If you have other pensions that you would like to convert into an income we would recommend you speak to your financial adviser or MoneyHelper.

If you don't have a financial adviser then could help you find one. This is a website you can use to find professional financial advice from a qualified adviser local to you. You can also find an adviser using The Retirement Adviser Directory from MoneyHelper. You should always check the firm you’re dealing with is listed on the Financial Services Register.

We recommend you select a financial adviser who specialises in retirement.

How do I notify Partnership of a change in circumstances?

If you have a policy that was originally held with Partnership and you need to make any changes to the personal details that we hold on your policy, such as address, bank details or name, you can contact us in writing at:    

Just Annuity Servicing Centre, PO Box 208, Darlington, DL1 9HG. By phone on 0345 120 2837*, between 9.00am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday. Or alternatively you can email

For your security we will go through a number of security checks to protect your details. Please include the details you wish to change along with the new details. Please also quote your policy number in all correspondence or have it to hand if you phone us. The only thing we can’t change over the phone is your name as we would require sight of the official documentation to support it before updating your policy details.

*Telephone calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Local call rates apply.

How much is my annuity?

The gross amount of your annuity payments will be shown on your policy schedule. Your payments are taxable under the UK Pay As You Earn system (PAYE), with the amount of tax you pay depending on your total income. HM Revenue & Customs will inform Just of your correct tax code, which will dictate the amount of tax deducted from your gross payment.

If you can't find your policy schedule, please call our customer services team on 01737 233297, Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm or email

How often can I receive a Guaranteed Income?

You can choose to receive an income monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or annually. Once your annuity is set up, you can't change how often you receive your income.

When will my annuity be paid?

Your annuity will be paid either monthly, quarterly, half yearly or annually, depending on the choices you made when you took the policy out (shown on your policy schedule).

If you can't find your policy schedule, please call our Payments and Servicing team on 01737 233297 Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm, or email

Normally we pay your annuity on the first day of each month. If the first day of the month falls on either a weekend or a bank holiday it will be paid on the preceding working day.  


January - Friday 29 December 2023

February – Thursday 1 February 2024

March – Friday 1 March 2024

April – Thursday 28 March 2024

May – Wednesday 01 May 2024

June – Friday 31 May 2024

July – Monday 01 July 2024

August – Thursday 1 August 2024

September – Friday 30 August 2024

October – Tuesday 01 October 2024

November – Friday 1 November 2024

December – Friday 29 November 2024

Will divorce affect my annuity?

If your marriage or civil partnership is dissolved, your settlement may include a court order which impacts your pension annuity. In this case, we would need to implement the order. Your pension may either be shared between you and your spouse or civil partner or awarded to them in full. The court will issue a pension sharing order, and we’ll calculate a cash equivalent transfer value (CETV) figure. Depending on the terms of the pension sharing order, your spouse or civil partner will receive some or all of your CETV(s) as a ‘pension credit’. They will need to decide what to do with this.

If your marriage or civil partnership is dissolved and a Court Order is not issued, you will still need to inform us of the change in your marital status. See the FAQ section ‘Change my details’.

Upon receipt of notification of this change we will confirm in writing the impact if any, on your policy. Depending on the type of benefits that make up your annuity, divorce (without a court order) may have slightly different impacts: 

Contracted-out benefits, such as Protected Rights or Guaranteed Minimum Pensions (GMP)

Under legislation any Dependant's income from contracted-out benefits is usually payable to the legal spouse at the time of death. If you do not remarry, we may still pay to the dependant named at the beginning of your policy.

Other benefits

For other benefits, the dependant's income on our annuities is non transferrable and we can usually only pay income to a dependant named at the beginning of your policy. We base our annuity rate on the named dependant’s specific date of birth and medical details; we can’t amend the policy to pay a different dependant at a later date.

Form you may need to complete:

Change of marital status or name

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to be able to view documents within this section.

Please print, complete, sign and return to:-

Payments and Servicing Team
Enterprise House
Bancroft Road

Will I receive a payslip for my payments?

That depends on what kind of payment you receive and who originally provided the policy.

If you're due to receive an immediate advance payment (that is paid within 7-10 days) you'll not receive a payslip.

If you receive payments from a policy originally provided by Just Retirement, you'll not receive a payslip.

However, if the policy was originally provided by Partnership you'll be sent a payslip when you receive your first full instalment. After this time, if your payment differs by more than £1 you'll also receive a payslip.

Care funding plans

Are there any restrictions on the health conditions which are eligible for a Care Plan?

There are no restrictions on the range of health conditions which make you eligible for a Just Care Plan. Each person is individually underwritten to determine their personal circumstances at the time you apply.

Can an attorney change my Will?

No. They can only see your Will if you give them permission to and can't change anything in it.

Can I cancel a Lasting Power of Attorney?

You can cancel or amend a Lasting Power of Attorney at any time before it's registered. Once registered, you must give notice to the Office of the Public Guardian. You can't cancel a Lasting Power of Attorney once you lose mental capacity, although a third party can complain to the Court if concerned your affairs are not being dealt with properly.

Can I choose which attorney handles what?

You can stipulate various restrictions or conditions in the Lasting Power of Attorney document. You can also appoint different attorneys for your Health and Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney and your Property and Financial Affairs Lasting Power of Attorney.

This process relates to England and Wales. The process is different for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Can I set up a Lasting Power of Attorney and still control my own affairs?

Absolutely. Your attorneys would only take control if you lose mental capacity – and you can include a restriction to this effect in the Lasting Power of Attorney document. Conversely you can stipulate that your attorneys can act on your behalf while you are still mentally sound, if you wish.

Can income from a Care Plan be used to fund care at home?

Yes, income from a Care Plan can be used to fund care at home but may lose it's tax-free payment status if payments aren't made to a registered care provider.

Can we put our house in trust for our children to avoid a forced sale in the event that we need to go into care?

Putting property in trust for future generations is a complex issue so legal advice is essential. As part of any means test, your local authority can ask about your property ownership going back a number of years. If the local authority deems the property was placed in trust deliberately to take it out of the Care funding means test, they may still take its value into account in their calculations.

Plus, the means test upper threshold is low (currently £23,250 for England and Northern Ireland, £50,000 for Wales residential care, and £32,750 for Scotland) so other assets could disqualify you from local authority support in any case.

Does having a Care Plan affect any means tested benefits to which I am entitled?

Before going into care, a means tested benefit assessment should be carried out by your local authority to identify any benefits that you should be receiving and any shortfall that may exist. If you purchase a Care Plan, the assessment will take into account the income that is being paid, and this may affect your eligibility for support.

How do I apply for a Care Plan?

Before you purchase a Care Plan, you’ll need to receive financial advice to make sure it’s the right solution for you. You (or a Power of Attorney if you have one) should therefore speak to your own financial adviser in the first instance.

If you don’t have an adviser or they’re not qualified to give Care advice, you can find an adviser in your area on the UK 'Find an Adviser' directory at

How much does a Care Plan cost?

Our Care Plans are tailored to each individual. Therefore, the cost will depend on your personal circumstances, such as your health, and how much you need to cover care fees.

This is a one-off lump sum investment, in exchange for which we'll pay an income for life, to help meet the cost of your care.

I have made a Living Will. How would a Lasting Power of Attorney work with this?

A Living Will is a legally-binding document that enables you to specify when life-sustaining medical treatment should be withheld. The timing and order in which the Lasting Power of Attorney or Living Will is made will affect the validity of each document. If a Living will is made and then a Lasting Power of Attorney, the Lasting Power of Attorney will override the Living Will, and vice versa. It's also important to discuss your wishes in relation to life-sustaining medical treatment with your appointed attorneys.

If I die early in the Care Plan will any of my investment be returned?

All of our Care Plans come with a Money Back Guarantee as standard. This means if you die during the first six months of purchasing our Care Plan, a percentage of the investment you paid will be returned to your estate. The percentage depends on how far into the six month period death occurs and any income paid out will be deducted from the original lump sum before the balance is returned.

If you want to protect your investment for longer than the Money Back Guarantee period, Capital Protection is an option that you can choose at the start of the plan. Capital protection allows you to protect between 1% and 75% of your premium (in whole percentages). This is only available on our Immediate Care Plan. It’s sold as a separate Decreasing Term Assurance policy and there is an extra cost for this.

Since the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve increased our Money Back Guarantee and will now refund of 100% of the premium, less any income already paid, for any customer dying within 12 months of purchasing a plan where Covid-19* is recorded on the death certificate as a contributory cause of death.


*also includes Coronavirus or SARs-Cov-2 as a contributory cause of death.

I'm an existing care plan policy holder, and have a query. How can I contact you?

Please contact us on 0345 120 2837.

Please note telephone calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Local call rates apply.

Is a Care Plan guaranteed to cover my care home costs?

Although we can provide you with a pre-agreed and predictable income for life, we cannot guarantee that the level of that income will meet the full cost of your care fees, even if, at outset, that is the case.

You can choose for the income payable from your Care Plan to increase each year, but if your care fees increase to more than is payable from your Care Plan, you will need to make up the shortfall from other sources.

However, some care homes are prepared to cap the amount that their care fees will increase by, if a customer buys a Care Plan. This is because a Care Plan also provides them with a regular and secure source of income for as long as care is required.

Is a medical examination required to purchase a Care Plan?

A medical examination is not required for the Immediate and Deferred Care Plans. We will contact your doctor for a General Practitioner's Report and your Care Provider for more information about your care needs at the time you apply.

My mother is quite wealthy. Is her local authority under any obligation help her find the right kind of care?

Yes – the local authority has a duty to assess her care needs and ensure she has access to suitable care, even if she has to pay for it herself.

My parents own their home and have £80,000 in savings. Will they get any financial help with the cost of care?

Their assets put them well above the threshold of £23,250* per person (certainly in England and Northern Ireland - the threshold differs in Scotland and Wales) at which level care is self-funded.

However, if they need help with basic daily tasks such as bathing and dressing they may be able to claim for the Attendance Allowance, worth up to £108.55* a week. If they require nursing, the NHS will pay for Funded Nursing Care (FNC). It’s important to discuss with care homes how the FNC is accounted for in their fees.

*Figures relate to the tax year 2024/2025 (April 6th 2024  - April 5th 2025).

My sister and I live together in a home we own, mortgage free. What will happen to our property if one or both of us needs to go into care?

The property will be disregarded from the care funding means test when the first of you goes into residential care. If the second of you then also needs to go into residential care, the value of the property could then be included in the means test. If the property then needs to be sold to help with the cost of fees, the Local Authority may help with funding until the property is sold. Should you both need to go into care at the same time, a proportion of the property's value (equal to your share of the property) will be allocated to each of you for the means test.

Our parents own their home jointly and have around £30,000 in savings. My father needs to go into nursing care but my mother wants to remain at home. Can we be forced to sell the property to pay for Dad’s care?

No. So long as your mother continues to live in it, the property won’t be included in the means test for care funding. However, half of their joint savings will be. With £15,000 in assets, your father is above the lower capital limit of £14,250* (for England and Northern Ireland) and will be expected to make a contribution towards the cost of his care, the contribution is £1 a week for every £250 in assets over £14,250. There may also be a contribution required from any income he is receiving.

*Please note that different limits and requirements apply for Wales and Scotland.  

What benefits does an Immediate Care Plan offer to my care provider?

The main benefit an Immediate Care Plan offers your care provider is the safety of a regular, predictable income for the duration of your life. The Immediate Care Plan reduces the risk that you will run out of funds and, therefore be unable to meet the costs of your providers care provision at a later date. 

What happens if an attorney dies after I lose mental capacity?

If you've appointed your attorneys to act 'together', the Lasting Power of Attorney may lose validity if one of them dies, becomes bankrupt or incapacitated. You may want to consider nominating substitutes or requesting that attorneys act ‘together and independently'.

What happens if I need to move care home or require a more specialist care provider after taking out my Care Plan?

If you need to move care provider, we can transfer the payments to your new registered care provider. Please let us know by writing to us at Just, Unit 11B, McMullen Road, Darlington, DL1 1AX, or email: Please provide the name, address and bank details of the new care provider as well as the date the move applies.

If your care fees rise as a result of the change to your care provider, and our Care Plan doesn’t meet the increase in costs, you'll be responsible for making up the difference.

What happens if you take out a Care Plan but later find that care is no longer required?

If care is no longer required, we'll continue to make payments from your Care Plan. These payments will be paid directly to you rather than a care provider. However, in making that change, the income would lose its tax-free status. If you decide to do this, but then find you require more care at a later date, you will be able to transfer payments over to your new chosen registered care provider and the tax-free status would be reinstated.

Note: tax is subject to change and depends on individual circumstances.

Who are Just Care Plans suitable for?

Just Care Plans are designed to help insure those needing care against the possibility that they will need to pay care fees for longer than expected, or longer than their existing savings can support.

In exchange for an upfront, one-off lump sum investment, the Plans offer a pre-agreed, predictable income for life. Individuals can therefore more effectively manage their finances to support their care fees with the reassurance that the agreed income will continue to be paid for the rest of their life.

An Immediate Care Plan is suitable for people who are either already receiving care or are about to go into residential care and need the income to start straight away.

A Deferred Care Plan is for those who have the ability to fund their fees in the short to medium term but want the reassurance that, should care fees need to be paid beyond the selected period (1 year - 5 years), an income will start to be paid and continue for the rest of their life.

Who should I inform if I have signed a Lasting Power of Attorney?

If you wish your attorney to act on your behalf, it's advisable to provide any organisation that provides you with services a solicitor certified copy of the Lasting Power of Attorney document. This could include your bank or GP.

Who takes out Immediate and Deferred Care Plans?

These plans are taken out by people who need care and want to avoid running out of funds to pay costs of their care either now (Immediate) or at some point in the future (Deferred).

Just Care Plans provide reassurance, for both the person needing care and their family/friends, as a known, regular income will be paid for the rest of their life, which can be used to contribute towards the cost of care.

General enquiries

Change my details

It's important that you let us know when your details change (or those of anyone named on the policy) so that we can keep our records up to date.

To inform us you may call our Payments and Servicing Team on 01737 233297. They will be able to update your contact details and Bank account over the phone, following security checks. Alternatively you may print, complete, sign and return the appropriate form(s) below to:


Payments and Servicing Team
Enterprise House
Bancroft Road

Forms for you to complete:

Change of contact details

Change your bank details




How do I notify you of a death?

At such a difficult time we try to ensure the process of informing us is as easy as possible. If you're responsible for managing the affairs of someone who has passed away we'll guide you through the process step-by-step to ensure everything is managed correctly with regard to their policy.

It's really important that you notify us as soon as possible (by calling us on the number below) so we can ensure that if there are any ongoing payments, these are paid promptly to the correct person (i.e. if this is within a guarantee period, or a spouse or dependant's annuity has been arranged). We will commence payment once we have the necessary documents (see below).

We'll need you to send in the death certificate. Depending on the type of policy, we may also need a copy of the Will, Grant of Probate and Letters of Administration (if there is no Will).

When we speak to you, we'll explain what we need in more detail. We'll send the necessary correspondence to the executors  or legal representative of the estate, so please have these details to hand when you contact us.

Please call us on 01737 233297 Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm if you have any queries. 

Alternatively you can write to us at:

Payments and Servicing Team
Enterprise House
Bancroft Road

Or email us at

Making a complaint?

We aim for the highest standards of quality in the way we provide financial products and services. That’s why we want you to know exactly what you’re buying – and what you can expect from us. We also understand that sometimes things don’t go as planned. If things do go wrong, we’re keen to quickly put them right. That’s why we value your feedback and treat all complaints seriously. Your comments, good or bad, are very important to us. They help us improve our service – and identify areas that could benefit from further development.

Our complaints procedure is designed to be fair and thorough. That’s why it can take some time to review your complaint as we need to work out what’s happened and fully address your concerns. Whether your comments are about our products, customer service, or any aspect of your experience with us – we want to hear them. And we’re 100% committed to giving you the best service, every time – regardless of how you do business with us

How do you make a complaint?

The first thing to do is tell us what’s gone wrong. You can share your concerns with our staff either in person; or by phone, email, letter or fax:

Write to: The Quality Assurance Team at Enterprise House, Bancroft Road, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 7RP.
Call: 01737 233297
Fax: 01737 227113

Information we need

To help us investigate and resolve your concerns as quickly as possible, please give us (where applicable):

  • your full name and address;
  • a daytime phone number (where we can contact you in case of a query);
  • a clear description of your concerns;
  • your policy number or reference; and
  • copies of any relevant documents, letters, or policies.

How do we respond? 

Our first step is understanding what the issues are. After that, we’ll work out what we can do to put things right. If we can do this within three working days, we will. And we’ll send you a letter summarising your concerns (a Summary Resolution Communication) and the actions we’ve taken.

What you can expect from us

If we can’t resolve things within three working days, we’ll send you a letter by the fifth working day to acknowledge your complaint. It’ll also give you details of the person who’s handling your investigation – and how to contact them.

We aim to resolve your complaint within four weeks of receiving it. If this is possible, we’ll send you a final response letter. If not, we’ll write to you with an explanation of what’s happening and when you should expect a formal reply. If we still haven't resolved your complaint within eight weeks, we’ll let you know why and we’ll also let you know when we expect to be able to respond.

If you are still not satisfied 

If you’re not happy with the way in which your complaint has been handled or you’re unhappy with the outcome you can refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service within the following timescales:

  • If you haven't received a final response from us and it's been eight weeks since we received your complaint
  • Within six months of being sent your final response letter or your Summary Resolution Communication

This service was set up by law to provide consumers with a free, independent service for resolving disputes with financial firms. The Financial Ombudsman Service can be contacted at:

Write to: Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR
Call: 0800 023 4567

Making a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service won’t affect your legal rights.

Nominate someone to discuss a policy on my behalf?

To give permission for someone else to discuss your policy, you will need to print, complete, sign and return, a copy of the relevant form, the link to this can be found below.

This gives the person you nominate permission to speak to us and discuss your policy.

If you wish to give a person additional authority then you will need to arrange a Power of Attorney.

If a Power of Attorney is in place, please send us the original or a copy certified by a Solicitor, Stockbroker, Public Notary, Chartered Accountant or Financial Intermediary with an original signature.

Form you need to complete:

Nominate someone to act on your behalf - Annuities

Please print, complete, sign and return to:


Payments and Servicing Team
Enterprise House
Bancroft Road

Change my marital status or name

It's important that you let us know when you or anyone named on your plan changes name, marital status or contact details, so we can keep our records up to date.

To let us know of any change you will need to print out, update, sign and return the appropriate form(s) below, and return them to:

Payments and Servicing Team
Enterprise House
Bancroft Road

Forms for you to complete

Annuity/Drawdown Plan Customers


Life Assurance Customers

I'm an existing life assurance policy holder, and have a query. How can I contact you?

If you have any questions about your policy, or would like to make a claim, you can email us at or call 0333 043 7013*

You can contact us in writing at the address below:

Just Customer Services
URIS Group
Quay Point
Lakeside Boulevard

Please contact us immediately in the event that a claim needs to be made.

*Telephone calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Local call rates apply.

Our Enhanced Retirement Account and IFDL ISA

Does contributing to this IFDL ISA affect my annual ISA allowance?

Yes, any payments you make into this IFDL ISA will count towards your annual ISA allowance. If you have already used your ISA allowance for this year, you will not be able to take out the IFDL ISA.

Please note the IFDL ISA is only available to existing ERA customers.

The ERA is now closed to new business and new customers, however if you are an existing ERA customer, you can continue to use your plan as normal.

Our Lifetime Mortgage Customers

Can I borrow more money at a later date?

You can apply for an additional advance outside your cash facility on your lifetime mortgage subject to terms and conditions. Any additional advances outside the cash facility will be offered subject to a minimum amount and a new professional valuation report, which you'll need to pay for.


Please note: The maximum will depend on a number of factors. If you borrowed the maximum amount possible with your initial advance then it's likely there will not be enough equity in your property to fund additional borrowing, unless your property has significantly increased in value. You must also take into consideration that the interest rate for additional advances may be higher or lower than it was on your initial advance. 

Can I take my lifetime mortgage with me if I move home?

If you have a lifetime mortgage, so long as the new home you wish to move to meets our acceptance criteria then you should be able to move your existing lifetime mortgage to the new property. In some circumstances, such as if you were to downsize to a smaller property, a part repayment of your existing lifetime mortgage amount may be required.

Can other people live in the property?

When you applied for your lifetime mortgage, we asked you who would be occupying the property. Letting all or part of your property to an additional third party is not normally permitted. If extenuating circumstances mean that you may need to do this you will need to discuss this with us.

If you want someone else to move into your home to live with you, for example a member of your family, you must first obtain written agreement from Just, before they move in. 

To discuss any of the above, please contact our customer services team on 01737 233297 Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm. 

Useful links

What if I am away from my property for a period of time?

Can you help me understand my annual statement?

Your lifetime mortgage annual statement is automatically issued and gives you details of:

  • How much you have borrowed in total.
  • How much interest has been added to the initial cash advance, and, if applicable, any subsequent advances taken from your cash facility plus the added interest.
  • Whether you have funds still available to draw down from your cash facility and the amount available.
  • The amount required to repay your lifetime mortgage at the date of the statement (although you will need to contact us directly to obtain an accurate repayment figure). Read more about early repayment.

Should you require a statement at any point throughout the year, you can request one please contact our customer services team on 01737 233297. Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm. 


How do I withdraw money from my cash facility?

As part of your lifetime mortgage, you may have been allocated a cash facility, from which you will have released an initial advance. You can withdraw more money from your remaining cash facility at any time subject to the minimum amount shown within your offer letter.

The interest rate applicable to any additional advance is linked to our new business rate. This rate may be higher or lower than the rate you received on your initial advance. The actual rate will be confirmed in your additional
advance offer letter. We recommend that you only release additional funds when necessary, as interest will start to be added to the additional advance from the time the funds are released.

Please remember that your lifetime mortgage is secured against your home. Accessing the funds from your cash facility may affect your entitlement to means-tested state benefits and will reduce the value of your estate.

In order to withdraw additional money from your cash facility, we will need you to contact our customer services team on 01737 233297. Our opening times are Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm. 

Providing you have the cash facility available, we will send you our additional advance offer documents along with a payment form to sign and return to us, should you wish to proceed.

If you would like to find out how much cash facility you have left, please refer to your annual statement or the first page on your most recent offer letter, whichever is most recent. 

If you believe you have used all your cash facility we may still be able to help you. Please give us a call on 01737 233297 Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm or email us at so we can discuss your individual case. 

Address to write to: 

Lifetime Mortgage Policy Administration
Enterprise House
Bancroft Road

How will divorce affect my lifetime mortgage?

At Just we appreciate that divorce can be a potentially difficult and emotional time and we try our utmost to ensure that your queries are handled as sensitively as possible.

Divorce itself will not affect your lifetime mortgage, however if your policy is in joint names and ownership of the property is transferred to a sole party as part of the divorce settlement, or if one of you moves out permanently this may affect the lifetime mortgage and any remaining cash facility.

In such circumstances we believe the most appropriate person to discuss your queries or concerns with will be your solicitor since they will fully understand your personal circumstances.

Once appropriate decisions have been made in your divorce case, we would recommend you get in touch to inform us of the outcome of those decisions by calling us on 01737 233297 Monday to Friday between 8.30 am and 5.30pm. 

Form you need to complete (link opens a pdf document):

Changing your name as a result of a divorce or dissolution of civil partnership 

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to be able to view documents within this section. 

Please return your form to:- 

Lifetime Mortgage Policy Administration
Enterprise House
Bancroft Road
RH2 7RP 

Useful links MoneyHelper - divorce and separation help

I'm an existing Equity Release policy holder, and have a query - how can I contact you?

Please contact us on 01737 233297.

Please note telephone calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Local call rates apply.

I'm considering repaying early - what should I do?

Our lifetime mortgages are long-term arrangements that are intended to last your lifetime or until you move permanently into long-term care, or, in the case of joint borrowers, each borrower has died or moved permanently into long-term care.

If your circumstances change or you decide to pay back all – or part – of your lifetime mortgage early, you maybe charged an early repayment charge if you overpay more than your mortgage terms allow, or you repay the mortgage early. The easiest way to find out how much this charge may be is to call us on 01737 233297 (8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday). Please note your call may be monitored and recorded and call charges may apply.

You may wish to discuss early repayment and other options with your financial adviser.

What happens if I go into long term care?

Your options will depend on your circumstances at the time.

If you are the only borrower and it has been confirmed that you need to move out of the property because you need long-term care, the lifetime mortgage, accumulated interest and any charges will need to be repaid. This is normally done from the money that is made from the sale of the property.

If you have a joint lifetime mortgage and only one of you needs to leave the property, the second borrower can continue living in the home during their lifetime. When the second borrower dies or goes into long-term care, the lifetime mortgage will need to be repaid.

We will not ask you to pay an Early Repayment Charge if you sell your home because you (or both of you if borrowing jointly) need to move into permanent residential long-term care. But we appreciate that there may be some circumstances when you may need to go into care temporarily and want to return to your own home at a later date. It's important to notify us if you need to leave the property on a temporary basis as per the terms and conditions of your lifetime mortgage. In this circumstance please refer to ‘What if I am away from my property for a period of time?’ section.

What happens if I want to repay my mortgage early?

As it was designed to be a lifetime commitment Early Repayment Charges may apply if you repay more than your mortgage terms allow or you repay the mortgage early. Please refer to the original documentation you received when you took out your mortgage for details around charges, or please contact us if you are unsure.

What happens if my circumstances change?

Your lifetime mortgage is designed to be a lifelong commitment and if your circumstances do change, it may affect what you're able to do going forward. However before you do anything we would recommend you get in touch with us to see if there is anything we can do to help.

What happens if my partner dies?

If your lifetime mortgage is held in joint names then it will continue until the surviving policy holder passes away or moves into long-term care. However, if the lifetime mortgage is held in your partners name only, you may have to move out and sell your property to repay the outstanding amount to us (unless, for example, you were able to repay the lifetime mortgage in full).

What happens when I die?

When you die (or when the last borrower dies if borrowing jointly), the lifetime mortgage becomes repayable. This is usually done by the sale of the property. Your lifetime Mortgage includes a no negative equity guarantee. This means that when the property is sold after you die or have moved into permanent long term care, you or your beneficiaries will not have to repay more than the sale proceeds. Even if this is less than the amount owed.

What if I am away from my property for a period of time?

You need to inform us if you intend to leave your property for more than three months at a time, such as for an extended holiday and obtain our consent. Please contact our customer services team on 01737 233297 Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm and we’ll talk you through the process.

These are the questions we’ll ask when you call us:
• The dates you are going to be away.
• Contact details for the person who is keeping an eye on your home while you’re away. For example a relative, friend or neighbour.
• Have you checked your buildings insurance covers your property if it's empty for an extended period? If it doesn’t please talk to your insurer about extending your cover. We’ll then ask you to send us confirmation that this is in place.
• Confirmation that you've taken any steps required by your insurance provider to protect your property.

Some additional tips you might find useful:
• Remember to cancel any deliveries such as milk or newspapers.
• Avoid piles of post accumulating and enquire at the post office about their ‘Keepsafe' service.
• Check smoke alarms are working correctly.
• Avoid burst pipes - if it's winter and the heating is not on, consider having the heating and the water system drained.
• You can put timers on some of the lights in your home to give the impression someone is home.

What if I want to move home?

If you’re thinking about moving home, you may be able to transfer your lifetime mortgage to your new property. This is known as ‘porting’. Your new property will need to meet our current lending criteria, so transferring your mortgage isn’t always guaranteed. It is important to let us know about your move as soon as possible so we can confirm you’ll be able to transfer your lifetime mortgage.

Transferring your Lifetime Mortgage- Lending Criteria Guide

If you decide to go ahead, we will need you to complete a new application form. A valuation will need to be carried out on the new property, for which we will charge a fee. There may also be a charge for any legal work that needs to be undertaken. 

Fee tariff of charges

If your new property purchase price or valuation is less than your current property, we may ask you to repay part of your lifetime mortgage. If your property is not suitable under our lending criteria we may ask you to repay all of your lifetime mortgage and in this situation, an early repayment charge may become payable which can be significant, so please call us to discuss your circumstances as soon as possible.

If you do not want to transfer the loan and accrued interest and charges to your new property, the debt must be repaid in full when the sale has completed. In this instance we may also ask you to pay an Early Repayment Charge. 

Our customer service team is available to speak to you on 01737 233297 Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm.

What is the early repayment charge?

Your equity release product is designed to be repaid when you (or both of you if you are borrowing jointly) die or have to move into permanent long term care. You may have to pay this charge if you overpay more than your mortgage terms allow, or you repay the mortgage early. 

Details will be included on the illustration you received from your financial adviser.

There will be a separate early repayment charge for every advance taken.

Will I need an adviser for my further advance?

Yes, because any further advance offered is not covered by advice received for previous advances.

If you don't have a financial adviser, the Equity Release Council can help you find advisers in your local area who are fully qualified, equity release specialists. You can contact them at

A further advance relates to additional borrowing, outside of any withdrawals from a pre agreed cash facility.