Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance is a benefit that provides financial help, so that you can meet mobility or care costs. These days, it's gradually being phased out and replaced by two separate benefits: a Personal Independence Payment and an Attendance Allowance.

What is a Personal Independence Payment?

It's a tax-free payment to you from the government, to help you look after yourself. A Personal Independence Payment is made up of two parts – a 'daily living part' and a 'mobility part'. It's available to people aged between 16 and the State Pension Age.

How much will I get?

It depends on how mobile you are and how much care you need. In 2020/21 you would get the highest amount of benefit (£151.40 per week) for severe conditions – but the lowest amount (£23.60 per week) if you needed much less care. The first figure is based on receiving the highest weekly rate for both the daily living and the mobility parts. The second figure is based on receiving the lowest weekly rate for just the mobility part.

You can find out which Personal Independence Payments you may qualify for, on the government's Personal Independence Payment web pages.

What is Attendance Allowance?

This benefit is also tax free. It's for people who have reached the State Pension Age who need someone to look after them because of their disability. It's at two rates – higher and lower:

  • higher rate (£89.15 per week): you need help or supervision throughout both day and night, or you're terminally ill;
  • lower rate (£59.70 per week): you need frequent help during the day or supervision at night.

You can find out which Attendance Allowance rate you may qualify for, on the government's Attendance Allowance web pages.

Is it hard to claim these benefits?

The government wants to make sure these are relatively easy claims processes. Please read the government's web pages for more detailed information.

Is there anything else I could claim?

If someone in your family or a close friend is looking after you, and you have substantial care needs, that person could claim for the Carer's Allowance. As a family, that could help you financially, although a carer does not need to be related to you or live with you to qualify for that benefit.